Collection: Part 3 - Unit 7

Refleciton - Unit 7

Reflection on Assessment Feedback - 20/02/17:

The feedback I received from my Part 2 assessment was very positive. However there are a few negative comments that I feel I need to work on:

• There  is  a  need  for  further  finesse  in  the  making.  
  • I  would  like  to  see  more  personality   in  your  presentation  style.    

I would really like to work on both of these criticisms. In order to achieve a higher standard of finish I will dedicated at least 2 weeks to ensure the making is of much higher quality for this project. I have included this on my proposal sheet and as long as I stick to the timing, I should create something much more finessed then before.

To make sure I improve on the second criticism, I will make sure I do more sketches in my sketchbook and improve on doing fast sketches. I will also use more colour and explore more materials in my books. From my previous sketchbooks I tend to stick to one clean style with not much character. From now on I will use my sketchbook as an ideas board and not be scared of using it, like I have been before. This should bring much more personality into my sketchbook.

Reflection On 21/02/17:

Today I decided to focus on my sketchbook. Out of the comments I received from my assessment, bringing more personality into my sketchbook is the one I really would like to improve on.

I decided to do a double title page on metamorphosis. I wanted to make it more creative so I used a mixture of collage using research I found but also drawings and paintings.

I wanted to look at words similar to Metamorphosis so I did pages of research on Transformation and Evolution as well. I found though that I wanted to stick to nature and animals instead of going off the deep idea of human transformation as people get older.

I really wanted to get some primary research into my work so I went for a walk and took pictures of dead plants - I then photo-shopped the plants so that they were almost coming back to life to show the transformation between dead and alive. However this research may have been based on changing instead of metamorphosis.

Reflection on 01/03/17:

Since it was an independent study day, I decided to look further into tentacles after it being one of my words from yesterday's workshop. I was desperate to link it back to ancient myths so I looked through Ovid's Metamorphosis to find references to any sea monsters. I was fortunate to come across a story involving Scylla who was a nymph and was turned into a sea monster with lots of legs and teeth and would swallow any ships that came near it. This definitely helped sea where sea monsters came from. What I would like to do now is look at Nordic myths and research involving the kraken.

I also looked at jewellery involving tentacles too - but more research is definitely needed.

I did some initial design ideas, especially around the upper body trying to convey the suckers on the tentacles. I think I need to look more into the anatomy of tentacles and the characteristics.

Reflection On 05/03/17:

Today I wanted to focus on my online research and update my workflow. So it was productive in that way. I needed to put all my research from my sketchbook into workflow but also to make sure my reflections were up to date and I did just that.

Reflection on 08/03/17:

Today's aims:

• Finalise idea for first Ovid transformation: Tentacles
  • Find two other stories in the Metamorphosis I can use and create jewellery ideas for them
  • Show in my sketchbook that I want my outcome to be a series of 3

To start off the day I decided to do some research in Ovid's Metamorphosis to find stories I could create jewellery out of. There are a lot of transformations in the book, however a lot of them are quite cliché - for example involving bird transformations. I wanted to stay away from wings as they have been overdone. It actually took me quite a while to find another story, but eventually I found a passage in the transformation of Io - where Hera was jealous of Io's beauty so she stole her and turned her into a cow, keeping her under the watchful eye of the 100 eyed monster Argus - eventually Io's father kills Argus and gets her back. The transformation in this story that I am interested in is after Argus' death, Hera turns his eyes into peacock feathers. I liked this story as it's not a usual transformation and is unique. So I did some research on this and put it in my book - I made a few initial drawings too but would like to draw more details ideas on Friday.

Today I unfortunately was not able to find another story  so I will have to have a very detailed look on the weekend. Otherwise I will do the Icarus' wings idea but I would have to make it clever so that it would not just be another pair of wings.

I went back to the tentacle idea to try and develop an idea that I was happy with so that I could make a sturdy model tomorrow. I definitely wanted to emphasize the shape of the tentacle in my idea but also the detail in the suckers. It took me a while and a lot of drawings on different parts of the body, manipulating the size and shape. However I finally came up with an idea that I was happy with (as shown below). I have chosen to place this piece on the head of shoulders again as I think that's where the change in silhouette will be most effective. I may do a few more drawings and change the body placement but for now I am happy with it. All I need to do is create a model to see how it works on the body but also do some material research to figure out what would work best.

I also did some experiments with wax in my book to convey the pattern of the suckers of the tentacles. I loved how the wax looked however they did fall off the material so I should fine a material where the wax would stay. The examples of the wax experiments are below:

Reflection on 11/03/17:

Today I wanted make sure my workflow was up to scratch and done pretty much daily so that I included all the critiques, advice and changes to make my design the best it could be. I also wanted to add the photos in I took to make my workflow page a bit more creative.

Reflection on 15/03/17:

Today I had a lot of work to do for the crit tomorrow. As well as making models I wanted to create some designs first to reflect the tutorial I had with Tamzyn the day before.

I started off with some research that Tamzyn suggested and definitely got some inspiration for both pieces.

I then moved onto designs, in particularly to do with the mirror mask for narcissus. I wanted to create a jagged effect with sharp angles to convey the reality of narcissism and how it's always going to be his downfall. The hard thing about creating a mirror mask is I could not actually use mirror in case of an accident - so I have to find other materials that reflect. I came up with a couple of designs based of sharp triangles so what I need to do is create a mask later on.

I then looked at the horn mouth piece for echo - for the end piece I would like to include a few horn, however I thought initial designs should just involve one horn so I could figure out the mechanics when model making. I did not have time today to look at the full nature mask for the woman so over the weekend I would like to test designs out but also do material tests to see what I could use to convey a mask feel.

In the afternoon I moved onto model making. I started off with the horn piece - I created two horns. One  more literal - a small mouth piece with a round hollow hole at the end .I made this out of wood and wire and covered it in tape. I actually preferred it before the tape went on. The other was more of an abstract horn with a big mouth piece a small end. I tried to get curves in the horn as well - but it was difficult to get the shape once it was covered in tape. Over the weekend I would like to create multiple horns and change the shape and make them a bit more abstract using different materials.

I then moved onto the mirror mask. I started off using the clear acetate and covered it in pva glue, however when I tried to construct it, it did not work and it did not look reflective in the end. So I used the reflective paper instead and cut different shaped traingles out of it. I then joined them together using a staplr so I could change the angles of the triangles and moulded it on the face. I thought it was quite an effective model however I think I could make it more jagged and textural so I will look at that over the weekend.

Overall I think today was effective as I got to test materials and have a relatively clear idea about where I want my designs to go. I just need to do more research and testing of materials to create something I am happy with, but also is polished.

The images below are the models I created today.

Reflection on 18/03/17:

Today I wanted to refine my ideas more - I know what I want to do but I would like to figure out the designs and how they would work into 3D.

I looked at the designs for both the male and female piece and drew them in a couple of ways. I was thinking that making two pieces would be a bit much so I was trying to figure out a way to convey the message without making two pieces.

So I thought about just creating the piece for the female to convey the echo. I was set on making a full head piece embroidering on forest, bark and mountainous scenes onto it. I definitely also want to create a horn but possibly thought about some way of incorporating the mirror mask with the horn - possibly using a bigger surface area for the end of the horn and putting a mirror in it so that the male just sees himself - I would like to discuss this with a tutor and see what they think about this idea - I would just like to make it a possible task and a bit easier for me so I can make the final product to the best of my ability.

Reflection on 22/03/17:

Today was the unveiling of the latex masks - first was the plain latex mask - unfortunately when I peeled off the mask it kind of stuck together and turned into a ball of latex - it clearly needed a more sturdy material to support the latex so it doesn't fold into each other.

The other latex model I created turned out much better - possibly because of the thickness of the latex or the mesh material I used in layers to support it - it kept its shape which was great. I had my female model to try on the mask - unfortunately it was a bit small so I had to cut it a bit but I would like to edit it so that it will fit her head properly.

What I need to do is try embroidering on the latex to see how it looks.

Reflection on 27/03/17:

Today was the unveiling of my samples. I tested the latex piece with the thinnest layers first - unfortunately after I took it off of the baking paper it rolled up on each other and rolled into a balls so there was no way I could sew on it at all. I then did the second thinnest one - it wasn't as bad but the edges did roll up slightly but I will still test the embroidery on it. The two latex samples with the mesh came off very easily.

I then embroidered onto the samples different stitches to see how the latex with held the cotton. I started with the thin latex with no latex - unfortunately when sewing onto the sample it stretches and it was hard to put the needle through the latex and made big holes - unsuccessful. I then tried sewing on the thickest latex - it worked better than the thin latex as the mesh helped the material stay together however it was hard to put the needle through. Finally I tried the latex with one layer of mesh - this worked much better than the other samples - wasn't too thin or thick, needle went in much more easily and the stitching generally looked better.

What I would like to do now is create a sample mask made from latex and embroider on it - instead of moulding it onto the face first I am doing it flat after being inspired by James Merry's masks.

Reflection on 30/03/17:

I decided to focus on my sketchbook today as I had a lot of gaps to fill in from my old sketchbook.

Reflection on 03/04/17:

Today I decided to go to Brick lane to research materials and buy a couple to test on the face and embroider on. I did some research before I went and after buying organza and it being too flimsy I wanted a more sturdy material with small holes and is slightly transparent so that I could embroider on it.

I found some tulle at one shop - it was definitely more sturdy but the holes were quite big. I brought it anyway to test how the stitching would work on the material and whether it would work well on the face.

Since I wanted to convey a nature, forest, mountainous feel in the embroidery, I focused on getting colours that relate the best to nature - so blues, greens and browns - I thought about using a blue base for the material to convey the water and then using green felt fibres to convey the greenery and the brown to convey the mountains and trees. I therefore bought blue tulle.

I then went to another shop and found a lighter tulle which was a lot softer with smaller holes - this would work better I reckon because it will be easier to embroider on but I will have to do testers tomorrow at home. However this material only came in white or black so I chose white.

I could not find the coloured felt fibres I wanted again so when I get home I will have to order them.

Reflection on 06/04/17:

This morning I wanted to do testers with the felt that arrived this morning. I wanted to try and see if it would've  joined together using a felt pen on the other materials that I bought such as the organza and tulle. I tried with the organza and it just ripped, the bigger tulle wouldn't take it either as the netting was too big. Finally I did it on the smaller tulle and it did work but not as how I hoped. Because the fabric was also fragile it did rip in bits and the felt fibres lifted off of it. However I did also try sewing on the felt as well as using leaves to bring that natural element into the testers. The reason I thought felt would be a good idea to use was so that it would make it more easy for me to sew on the fabric as the testers from yesterday didn't exactly work so I thought that would be a good material to use as well. Unfortunately these did not go exactly to plan either so I will have to go back to the design board and do some other ideas.

When jotting down ideas I thought of one that could work. Create a head mask made completely out of felt and incorporate natural things such as leaves bark etc into the fibres

I went to the shops to buy some things I may need such as felt fibres and things I could use as moulds for underneath.

For a tester I used a polystyrene cone and covered it with a sock so that the felt fibres would stick to the sock. And fortunately it worked better than I expected, it stayed in shape as well as looking great. So I got out the things I needed to start the mask tomorrow such as a polystyrene head, the measurements of my mode's head, the felt fibres, tights and the felt pen. I also drew some designs and found the one I wanted to make for tomorrow.

Reflection Review:

Reflection on 09/04/17:

Today I carried on making the domes with a dip in the middle. I had only done a few yesterday so I wanted to complete the pattern today. I wanted to use a variety of different sizes and have them going from the top right corner to the bottom left corner on the neck of the mask - I did just this today - however when doing the middle of the face it didn't really work as it covered the mouth bit where the supposed horn is meant to go. I also didn't think about how the model is suppose to breathe so I may need to redo these domes so that the model can breathe.

Reflection on 12/04/17:

Today I had a disastrous day. Probably the worst I have had over the whole of foundation. Everything was either falling apart or not working and I just could not figure out solutions to fix it.

First of all I had finished my mask so I wanted to bring it into uni tomorrow as I had found a model with a small enough head to model it for the photoshoot. So I needed to cut the back of it so that I could make the mask adjustable and put it onto her head. However when I cut the back the material started to fall off because I had used layers of stretched tights at the back so the elastic bunched off which meant the felt fell off. I could not figure out how to stop it from doing this so I left it because I did not want to ruin the piece I had worked so hard on.

This was not the only thing that went wrong today. I had purchased a few different thicknesses of wire to create the wire horn as Tamzin suggested. I drew a couple of designs I liked and tried to test them using this wire. The circles were easy to make as id used thick wire as the structure and then use thin wire to wrap around the joint so that it would stay together. However I struggled when it came to connecting circles to the straight bits of wire. I tried supergluing the wires together - did not work. I tried wrapping small bits of wire over and over again and they just moved. I tried using really strong tape and it did not work. Nothing was working so I thought about changing my designs however I did not want to make a flat horn as a horn is meant to be three dimensional. So I thought about how I could fix this - decided to go into the workshop tomorrow and use copper wiring so that I could spot weld it together instead.

I decided to go back to mask and figure out a solution to fix the mask so that I would not have to redo it. And with he guidance of my mum I decided to change the shape of the mask so it does not go all the way over the back of the head but just goes under the ears and frames the jaw line. So I cut the mask to this shape and decided to sew it so that the tights would not bunch up further.

Reflection on 15/04/17:

I dedicated today to the new felt making way. I placed a bamboo mat down and placed pieces of fibre on the mat vertically, then a layer horizontally. I then put a sheet on nylon on top and poured water and soap over the top. I needed enough so that the felt fibres were wet. I then rubbed it for 20 minutes with a cloth. once it was flat and not sticking to the nylon I rolled it 25 times in different directions to squeeze the water and soap out of the felt. Then I ran the felt under very hot water then cold then hot again and rolled it out in the bamboo mat to dry it once again. This method worked very well. Compared to the other method where the fibres came off and fluffed up a bit, this method made the felt fibres all stick together and made it very smooth.

Once I had done this I rolled it out in little cones of different shapes while still damp so that they would mould that way. I then repeated the same technique with different colours. For one of them I even used bark in between the fibres. I let the felt dry overnight so I could sew them into cones tomorrow.

Overall today has been a productive way as I found another way to create my own felt. I think this will show technique when it comes to the verdict of my final piece.

Reflection on 18/04/17:

Today I went into uni to show a tutor my piece to see if it needed anymore changes. I also went in to make sure it fit on my models head.

In regards to it fitting on Iona's head it just did but very tightly so she wont really be able to breathe during the photoshoot but she has a good sized and shaped head so the mask does look good.

I then had a very brief tutorial with Tamzin to show her my mask and also talk about the change in plan for my other piece. She really liked the mask, suggested I could possibly do a bit more sewing to keep the mask in tact so I will do that tomorrow. In regards to the echo piece I explained that I did try and make metal frames in the workshops but the design I had chosen just didn't work as the metal kept changing shape when I used the spot welder so I decided against doing the metal and paper mache horn. I showed her what I had done over the past couple of days - made my own felt and created cones then sewed beads into them to give it more finesse and to foreshadow the beauty of both narcissus and echo. She liked them so I will stick with my plan and finish putting the final product together when I get home.

I did do a little more sewing before I left to go home. I was waiting to see Karla about the photo shoot times - my slot is at 11 so I will need to be readt before that. The plan I have for my photoshoot Is to have now three models. Originally it was just one however I have made two piece for two girls and need a male to portray narcissus. I have found three models that suit each role and product - Iona to wear the mask as she has a small head and short hair. Jess to wear the echo part as she is very beautiful, around the same height as Iona and can mimic the beauty of echo and finally Kieren for the narcissus part as he has a good jaw line and would give a bit of diversity to the photo. I would like them all to wear nude colours so the jewellery stands out - so for the girls nude bras and for Kieren possibly topless to bring that classical element into the photograph. I would like the girls to stand at an angle, back to back, showing off the best part of the jewellery and then Kieren looking into Iona's mask to show he is seeing his own reflection. I would like Kieren to bet dripping with water over his face to show how Narcissus looks at his own reflection in the water and the girls to slick their hair back so its out of the way. That is the plan so far but this may change.

I have been thinking about making another piece for the man to show how he looks at his own reflection possibly mimicking the movements of water and I would like to do this if I have time tomorrow.

When I got back home I put together the echo piece as I had all the compartments but had not put them together. I was debating a few ways of putting it together and wearing it. One option was to use the neck band I created and sew the cones on so they surrounded the neck like an echo surrounds the surroundings. My other idea was to use the big circle and the little two circles and create a necklace. I would sew the horns onto the middle one and connect it by using the chain I made previously. I really liked this idea so I attached the chains to the circles and tried it on my neck - as a neck is wear the voice box is so echoes come from there. The big circle I felt was a little too big for the neck so I tried it on the face and over the mouth. This worked much better but I also felt this would convey the echo better as echoes come from mouths through sound waves. I then attached the cones onto the middles piece by sewing and using elasticated thread so I could change the shape and direction of the cones. Once I finished sewing all thebeaded cones on I was so happy. I really did not think this piece would look as delicate as it has come out and I am really proud ive create a piece that not only shows the story of the echo but also is beautiful and made well.

Overall today was a very productive day as I finished both pieces of jewellery. However I would really like to push myself tomorrow so that I can make a final piece to portray narcissus in my story.

Reflection on 21/04/17:

Today I had the difficult decision of choosing my main image and the three supporting images to go on my banner. I really was stuck on which way I should have these images as I particularly liked two of them. So I put them on a word document and changed around the picture to see which ones suited the banner better. I also had to chose between all the photos being black and white or one or two being in colour. In the end I chose the grouping below. I thought the main picture should show off the detail on my work and I think that picture certainly conveyed this. I wanted three professional photography pictures and one picture of the making. I did not want to put a research image or drawing in just because they will be prominent on my a2 sheets.

On reflection I am extremely happy with how my banner will look.

Reflection on 24/04/17:

Today I finished of all the bits I had not finished in order to hand in for assessment tomorrow.

Unfortunately I could not go into uni today so Karla set up my space for me.

I managed to get 10 A2 sheets done, I would have liked to do another one - a drawing sheet however I did not have the time.

Everything is finished as far as I know, so I look forward to handing everything in tomorrow.

Reflection on Proposal:

The feedback I received from Karla and Helmert about my proposal, especially the describing my plan part, was that it was too vague and I needed to be much more specific. Not necessarily saying what my outcome will be but explaining the direction I would like to go. As well was this they told me to include authors, artists etc. that I was going to specifically look at.

From this advice and went and redid the plan paragraph and wrote a much more detailed plan about what my action was. This was to create three pieces based on the stories in Ovid's metamorphoses. Now whether this will change or not I have not a clue but for the moment that was what my plan was. I also explained how I will do a lot of research in Alexander McQueen's collections.

Overall I am now happy with my proposal.

Reflection On 22/02/17:

I went to London to get some research from

I firstly went to The Design Museum in Kensington and saw the 'Fear & Love' exhibition. Although I did not think it would personally effect my project, there was one installation in particular that I felt was relevant to my project; 'Neri Oxman and Stratasys present Vespers'. This was a series of masks created from three dimensional printing. She was inspired by ancient culture's death masks. I think the most effective part was the fact that the masks changed so much. She started off with a series of five masks that were almost string like and quite traditional. This led to the next series of five masks that were more refined and smooth but still had the large surface area. Finally this led to the final series which were smaller but the detail was in the material. This links to my project as it shows a transformation through the making of the masks - completely changing the style each collection as she gains different inspiration.

'Christien Meindertsma presents Fibre Market' was also relevant to my project as he broke apart jumpers to create piles of fibre - this is a metamorphosis as it is a transformation from being a jumper to a series of fibres.

I then went to the Burberry Maker's Exhibition on Tottenham Court Road, which also included Henry Moore. Although I did not feel Henry Moore was relevant to my project, the collection by Burberry was inspirational. I especially liked the collection of shoulder pieces as it contained a lot of different textures including metal, shell, embroidery, feathers etc. Although it was fashion I found the pieces to be almost jewellery like.

When reflecting back on the day I definitely feel these exhibitions will help and inspire me to make something beautiful for my final piece.

Reflection on 27/02/17:

In the first half of the day we had to get into groups and discuss our title and the research we'd done over research week. I found that a lot of the people in my group had very similar ideas about fears and mental illness so the advice I wanted to give them was to focus on one area instead of using such a generalised title.

When it came around to me the I received a few artists/gallery visits from the people in my group. The first was to look at Alexander McQueen's Plato's Atlantis. This is relevant as it's about clothes resembling snakes and different animal textures. I was also told to watch Steven Berkoff's interpretation of 'Metamorphosis'. Gallery wise I was told by my group to go visit the Hunterian Museum in Holborn to see preserved specimen. As well as this to go see The Welcome Collection.

They also gave me some advice about the direction I should take my title 'Metamorphosis'. There were two directions I wanted to take it - the ancient route looking at human to animal transformations or to look at modern day transformation in regards to humans changing their body because of pressures to look better. The advice I received back from the group was to that the ancient historical route as it's less cliché and could be really interesting looking at animal textures. So I will follow this advice.

In the afternoon we had a whole class discussion led by Helmert. The feedback I received from this discussion was that I definitely needed to zone in my title description more and suggest a direction in the 250 words. So what I would like to do is improve and edit my description so that it has a direction and is not too general. When we discussed about my title the feedback I got from Helmert was to not go the Kafka route and stick to the ancient myths and stories as that is my strongest point as I studied it at university. So I will also take this advice on board.

Reflection on 02/03/17:

Today we were given tutorials to talk to our tutor about our project so far. As Karla was looking through my book she told me metamorphosis does tend to come up every year and past students have based theirs on Kafka's Metamorphosis. She advised me to stay away from this pathway and suggested that I look more into ancient historical transformation myths as that was a unique direction to take the project.

She also suggested to do a series of 3 or 4 pieces that were based on 3 or 4 myths in Ovid's metamorphosis. I already have the sea monster, the kraken, but what I need to look at is a few other slightly unusual transformations in the Metamorphosis.

In regards to the kraken, Karla suggested that I should go back to research instead of carrying on with design as she feels I need to refine my ideas more. Possibly dissect tentacles more and look at the characteristics of it.

Reflection on 06/03/17:

Today for the first part of the day we learnt how to create fashion figures in a quick time. I found this hard as what I usually do is draw a figure on tracing paper and copy that same image so that I do not have to draw it again. Personally for me I don't think drawing a figure repeatedly really helps with filling up my sketchbook fast. I personally like my way of transferring the same image - it just saves a lot of time. In my own time I would like to practice my fashion figuring drawing anyway so that I can get the dimensions right and get faster. I have got the structure down but I'm just slow at drawing the figure. I was also given the advice not to use short quick pencil marks but full single lines - I also found this hard as I find I press to hard on the pencil when drawing, so that is also something I need to improve on.

We then looked at a PowerPoint showing fashion illustrations using different mediums such as watercolour, ink, pencil, colour blocking, etc. This was quite inspirational as my drawings are plain pencil and quite boring so I would like to use some of these techniques to brighten up my drawings and make them unique. I definitely will try watercolour but possibly also colour blocking and collage as well. What I also got from this PowerPoint was that I do not have to draw all the details in the face when doing a full figure - it looks better to create an abstract, bear face - so that's what I would like to do. To reflect I would like to create unusual figures that have my own twist so that people know they are my figures and not generic ones.

We then went back to the 5 fashion figures we did in the morning however we had to draw an idea for our final jewellery piece on the figures, but each time we drew it, we had to change the piece. The first time we drew the original, we then had to change it to a different position on the body twice, then we had to change the size and finally the dimensions. The reason for the exercise was to show how we can create as many ideas as possible and change them. If I had a sturdy idea I think this would've worked well for me, however I did not have a sturdy idea in place so it did not really work well for me.

Finally in the afternoon session we were given multiple sheets of parts of the body in which we had to manipulate our ideas on - again if I had a stable ide this would've worked well but I did not so I found it a little bit pointless.

What I would like to do is do the idea manipulations again in my own time when I have a sturdy idea.

Reflection on 09/03/17:

We were set two tasks today:

• To get into groups and discuss each other's workflow and how to make it better
  • To create a paper prototype of our final piece

Firstly in regards to the workflow task. I did get a lot of information just by looking at a few people's workflow in my group. I found a couple of them very good and interesting. I liked Marite's as she created a title page with her name and a couple of drawings she had done to convey her personality through her reflections. This I feel is what I need to do in order to make my workflow look less dull and dreary and more creative and interesting - so when it comes to marking it the examiner will be interested in reading it. Secondly there was another girl in my group who's workflow was also very good as she'd done a reflection on everyday - even if nothing had been done that day she said what she did not achieve that day and when she will have to catch up on that work. So I would also like to be putting daily entries in. Finally I quite liked the structure of a couple of people's workflow as well, especially for the reflections as there were two columns instead of three. To me my three columns makes the reflections look a bit muddled, however to two columns made it look far neater so I may have to change the layout of my workflow so it makes sense.

For the second half of the day I decided to make a cardboard model of one of my tentacle designs. I chose the design as I like how original it is and I like the round curve around the head - really mimics the curvature of a tentacle. To create the roundness I had to cut a long strip of cardboard into 8 and staple them back together. The weight of the staples then made it floppy so I had to figure out a way to keep it up above the head. I found a bit of wire and moulded it to the shape of the cardboard and stuck it down - this meant the piece could hold it's shape. Unfortunately I could not figure out how to actually attach it to the head so I need to figure that out tomorrow. However so far the model is looking good. I possibly could have made it a little bigger

What I need to do over the weekend:

• I need to make a model for my peacock/argus idea and do a couple more design drawings so I am happy to make a model.
  • Figure out what colour to make my tentacle idea and what to make it out of.
  • To complete my series of three pieces find another story in Ovid's Metamorphosis and create a design and eventually a model.

Reflection on 13/03/17:

Aims for today:

• Find the last story
  • Do some research for it
  • Possible ideas

I wanted to find a story in Ovid's Metamorphosis that would possibly not be about an animal transformation but about something more abstract so I had a look through the book to find a story that really defines an abstract transformation. The story was about how an echo came about. A woman named echo fell in love with a man named Narcissus, however Narcissus did not return the love as he was too in love and infatuated with his own reflection. So eventually Echo just became a voice and transformed into the mountains and nature around her. Narcissus turned into a daffodil - however I wanted to focus on Echo. After reading this story it made me really inspired to do a piece involving a man and a woman and really showing this story through the jewellery.

I then did some research about the story online and about echoes - there was not much jewellery research involving an echo or this story so I looked at art instead.

Then I moved onto designs. For the woman I wanted to create a mouth piece to start off with that would convey the echo so looking at designs that would not quite reach the male's ear to show how he can't figure out where the voice is coming from. Material wise initially I thought about using perspex to convey how a voice is clear and you cant see it. I looked at a long tube as well. Another idea I came up with was once again using perspex but thin tubes so that they could go out in all directions so the male would not know where the voice was coming from.

In my tutorial I would like to talk to my tutor about this idea and see what she thinks and how I can improve it and what materials to use.

Reflection on 16/03/17:

Today was the day of the 3DDA crit. We did not really do anything in the morning which was a little bit disappointing as I would've like to do some test models in the workshops, However the afternoon was a little more productive.

We had to set out our work showing our proposal, models, sketchbook and a description of what our project was on. We then had to go round each pathway (architecture and product design) and leave comments on people's work. Although I do not have an architectural brain and did not really understand many of the concept's, of the work I saw and commented on and was extremely impressed with the work in the sketchbooks but especially the model making. It made me inspired to really branch out of my comfort zone and use different materials to create a model, not just one material. A few pieces of work in product design I was very impressed with, especially the ceramic work - makes me want to experiment with ceramic to create a piece of jewellery. However some of the work was a little boring, lacked work and not very experimental so it made me think that the point where I am at now was about right.

When we got to see the comments that others had put on our work I received mostly positive comments - especially in my sketchbook - people said how vibrant and interesting I made it and clearly laid out. The one criticism I received was that I needed to link my models to my sketchbook. I did not have to put my ideas in my sketchbook so I will definitely do that so my models make sense.

Overall the day was okay, however I would have liked more feedback on my models or my concept instead of just my sketchbook.

Reflection on 20/03/17:

For the first half of the morning we had a lecture about the assessment and the exhibition. It made me think about how I would display my pieces when I am photographing them and made me think about finding a model now and not doing things last minute.

For the second half of the day I decided to go to the British museum to look at some Greek and Roman jewellery to do some material research for my piece - making sure I incorporate the ancient history into my piece.

When in the museum I came across a lot of precious metals, especially gold - but not your usual chunky gold necklaces, more like intricate gold leaf pieces that were extremely delicate. I especially liked this gold leaf crown because of how beautifully the maker places the leaves and how detailed the piece was. I would love to do a piece made out of gold and use techniques such as soldering to create joints, however I unfortunately do not have the funds to create facial piece out of gold. However this has made me think about using another metal to create the horn piece, possibly look at thin sheet metals such as aluminium or copper - definitely would like something reflective.

Reflection on 24/03/17:

Today I wanted to make sure my workflow was up to date especially my reflections.

Reflection on 28/03/17:

Today I decided to try a massive model of a flat latex mask on the face. I started off by smothering some liquid latex on some baking paper then adding layers of mesh and latex. Because I want it to be completely dry when I sew on I, I am going to leave it for a couple of days.

Reflection on 31/03/17:

I really wanted to explore around Kent and see what materials my area provided. I first went to a shopping town called Maidstone -  I had done a bit of research and found two shops that had fabric. The first one I went to did not have many materials at all. I was specifically looking for a holey material like organza but they did not have any. The second shop I went to had closed down so it was a complete failure.

I then ventured to another part of Kent called Tunbridge Wells and found a big fabric store that had a lot of different materials including organza. I was a bit unsure of what to get so I got quite a flimsy organza with holes that were quite close together in a shade of light green as I thought this would work well with darker shades or green and brown embroidered on top to resemble nature.

However when I got home and did a tester piece and embroidered on it the fabric stretched and ripped as it couldn't hold the embroidery. SO I will have to find another material to replace this one - possibly a tulle or a material that it sturdier.

Reflection on 04/04/17:

Today I focussed on workflow

REFLECTIVE REVIEW April 2017

Reflection on 07/04/17:

Today I started the base of my mask. to do this I measured my models head diameter and lengthways. I then measured the polystyrene models heading and put layers of tights on to equal the size of my models head. I used tights so that the felt fibres would stick to the material and not the polystyrene head as well. I then started with a dark green felt fibre as the base and used a felt pen to merge it with the fabric underneath - once I had done the first layer I layered it up with different colours that I thought resembled nature and the forest - I used mostly different shades of greens, blues and browns and created curved patterns to foreshadow the curves in nature. I was actually really pleased with the outcome, I didn't think it would look quite as finessed and beautiful and mimicking nature like it does. I really think it perfectly portrays echo turning into nature.

What I want to do now is create a 3d effect to it so I can place the mirrors into the mask - I would also like to create a mask. Initially I was going to create it out of metal but I don't know how well that would fit in with my felt mask, so I am going to try and make it out of felt or something that resembles a fabric so it will tie in with my piece. My strengths lie in embroidery and with fabric so I think I should still to this as I want my piece to be beautifully made.

Reflection on 10/04/17:

When I woke up this morning and saw my piece, I wasn't happy with how I arranged the indented hollow balls on the model - I thought I wanted them coming from the top right corner to the bottom left corner coming across the face. However I realised I covered the mouth with these balls and this wouldn't work as I wanted to cut a circle in the mouth piece so the model could breathe when wearing it but also to make the horn part of the piece as well. When looking at it I decided I only wanted the balls on one side so I took them off and attached them all on the right hand side of the mask using a mixture of different sizes- looking more random then uniform - I much preferred this way of organising the balls.

I then wanted to see how mirror would look in the dips of the balls - I wanted to use mirror to reflect how narcissus falls in love with his own reflections. I had mini square mirrors which I fit in the larger balls dip - the contrast of shapes for me works really well, however I will buy some small shaped glass mirror as well to see what that looks like before sewing the mirror on.

I then wanted to start the felt horn. I did this by getting a large polystyrene cone and putting layers of tight light material onto the cone to create a base for the felt to attach onto. I then used the base colour felt fibre that I used for the mask and covered it completely. I then used other coloured felt fibres and attached them in curved patterns on the cone using needles to make sure the felt stuck on. Once all the areas were covered I thought id take it off the cone - however when I did it became extremely flimsy and out of shape - so I really was not happy with it. I thought about ways of improving this - possibly using a fabric stiffener back on the cone, creating a metal wire structure inside to support it or changing the design completely. Over the next couple of days I will try all three and figure out which one I like best.

I came up with another design - to create a bunch of mini horns for the mouth. I will do some testers of this over the next few days.

Overall I am really happy with how the masks looks now - however I need to fit it on my model's head so I will do that on Thursday.

Reflection on 13/04/17:

Today I was in the metal workshop all day. I had a few designs I had drew and tested out with wire at home which did not work. So I came to the workshops to use copper rods and the spot welder to try and see if they'd look any better.

The first model I made was two circles - one small and one big connected to four straight bits of wire. However when I tried to sport weld it together the temperature was too high so it ended up bending the metal so it became distorted.

The second piece I created was a little better. I used more circles however because of the angle of the spot welder the circles went on wonky meaning the shape was once again distorted.

I decided to have one final try making sure I had the measurements right and changing design. I made 7 circles going from small to large and used only two straight rods to connect them. This did work much better. However because I didn't want the metal to bend the spot welder was not hot enough so they kept falling off. I created the circles by hammering metal around a circular object. I wanted to get rid of the edges where I cut too so I used a tool that would cut very closely to the wire and also sanded the edges down.

I still am not happy with the objects I made so I am not going to bother continuing on with them and paper maching them as I would not be happy with the shape. So over the next day or two I will have to come up with other designs and other material to make the echo out of.

Self Assessment Workshop

Reflection on 16/04/17:

Today I decided to make the cones out of the felt I created yesterday. I wanted the stitch to be invisible so I folded one of the edges over and did a running stitch using thread close to the colour of the felt. I wanted them different shapes rather than the same shape just for a three dimensional effect rather then a boring one. It did take all day to create the cones and I made about 15 of them - they were fiddly but I am really happy with the outcome of them.

I also thought about how I could attach these cones to neck/face. I thought about going back to the paper mache and wire idea. So I did some experiments. I made a neck wire object that would wrap around the neck and adjust and I paper mached over it. I also created some wire circles as well and paper mached on them using bark in between the layers as well. Tomorrow I shall see what they come out like as they need time to try. But the idea so far is attaching the cones on the objects using stitching.

Reflection on 19/04/17:

Today my aim was to perfect my pieces but also see if I could make the male piece from the designs I drew.

I started off putting the finishing touches to the mouth piece by adding a crocodile clip to the rings I had already made. When I did that and tried it on I did not like the way the big rings fit on the head at the back, so I thought about how I could fix this. So I decided to create smaller rings so that it would look like a very little chain and fit on the head more delicately to tie in with the piece. I then used a smaller crocodile clip to clip onto these jump rings and it worked much better on the head. I wanted to cover the backs of the paper mache rings I made to cover up the sewing but I knew it was not necessary for the photoshoot tomorrow so I will do that on the weekend.

I then wanted to edit the mask and add a bit more embroidery on to it to make it stand out more, so I used a green thread to tie it in with the rest of the piece. On reflection maybe I overdid it with the sewing.

Finally I wanted to see if I could make a piece for the male to tie in with the rest of the piece. I had a few designs in mind so I started making my favourite one which was situated over the nose of the model and covered the eye line. On the outside I wanted to convey the pond Narcissus looked into to see his own reflection and on the inside I wanted to convey the reflection part using mirrors and other reflective objects. I managed to create the pond/water side by using layer of felt and tidied it up by stitching the edges so it looked neater. However as I started the next bit of the piece I was not really happy with it as I wanted it to stand out but with the time limit I could not really make it as finessed as the other two pieces, so I made a tactical decision and ditched the piece.

I also did some research regarding how I wanted my pieces to look and my models for tomorrow. I wanted two girls, which I had previously found, and I wanted them to intertwine or embrace to show that both pieces are connected to each other as they are both echo or parts of echo.

Overall I am disappointed that I did not get another piece done but I am happy with the two and ready for tomorrow's photoshoot.

Reflection on 22/04/17:

Today I had to finish off all the things I needed to do in order to get everything done for Tuesday.

I mostly did sketchbook work, however I did the 500 word reflection and evaluation as you can see below. I initially wrote too much but managed to cut it down.

Reflection on the top, evaluation on the bottom.

Reflection on 20/02/17:

To start off my project I decided research the meaning behind 'Metamorphosis'  and find words that link it. I found when researching that it did not necessarily have to link with nature, but meant just a large change. Words I found to link with 'Metamorphosis' were transformation and evolution. Definitely words I could link to my project in the future.

I then looks at 'Metamorphosis' in literature, especially in ancient Greek epics such as The Odyssey by Homer and Metamorphoses by Ovid. The examples I collected from these books were often gods morphing into animals or humans or gods causing the animal transformation of a human being. I also looked at modern literature linking with 'Metamorphosis' by Franz Kafka and Lewis Carroll. This made me realise how 'Metamorphosis' in regards to human beings does not necessarily have to be a physical transformation but a mental transformation for example in character or behaviour.

Then I did some research online looking at how 'Metamorphosis' links to art and design. What a few of the artists have done is created a contrast between hard and soft textures to emphasize a transformation. One of the artists particularly effected me. ‘Me & Edward’ by Jonathan Ducruix I found particularly inspiring due the photo manipulation of a human. Making them have animal parts, showing adaptation.

I was determined to get some primary research into my sketchbook and research. To link with 'Metamorphosis' I decided to photograph dying or dead nature and photoshop/distort the pictures so that they would look like they were living again - I wanted to emphasize how the difference between life and death is a transformation.

To end my research for the day I decided to look further into the words I researched at the start of the day, especially 'Evolution'. In particularly I looked at contemporary jewellery that related to 'Evolution'. I stumbled upon an jeweller named Ana Rajcevic who did a collection on Evolution. I found this collection particularly inspirational towards my project. It shows people with animal bits attached to them - showing how humans would look like if they adapted to animal's protective shields - evolution. This links to 'Metamorphosis' extremely well as it shows how people can change for the better.

What I would like to achieve in the next couple of days:

• Go to two galleries
  • More primary research
  • At least 10 pages in my sketchbook
  • Research myths - Icarus

Reflection On 28/02/17:

Today was more of a hands on day led by Tamzyn. We were told to bring in 10+ images from our research. We were then split into groups depending on the genre of our title. My title suggested nature so I was put into that group. Firstly we were told to arrange our images into simple groups, for example based on their similarities. We split them into piles titled people, natural, fashion etc. We then had to split them into groups with less obvious similarities so we looked at textures. After this we had to create a horizontal line and give either end characteristics that were opposite to each other and then arrange the pictures along the line. We then had to create a vertical line and give those ends more characteristics that were opposing and arrange the pictures over both lines. This was harder as items had to fit into both and we had to organise it along the spectrum. Whilst we were doing this exercise we had to write down key words that we saw in our images. The main notes I managed to jot down were textures and colours of nature: tentacles, lines, green, holes, organic, armour etc.

For the second half of the day we had to jot down three of the most influential words we received from the morning task, draw them and then make paper models out of them. The three words I chose was tentacles, armour and connections. I was mostly intrigued by tentacles as I hadn't realised plants such as venus fly traps had tentacle like things until today. I created a few paper models (shown below). I much preferred the models and drawing I did of tentacles so I would like to explore that area more and see if it has any links to ancient history.

I also had a mini tutorial with Tamsyn and she gave me some advice about the direction I should take my piece. She suggested that I should create a piece that distorted the shape of the body - making it transform instead of creating an actual piece of jewellery that transformed itself.

Image

Reflection on 03/03/17:

Unfortunately I did not get much done over the weekend.

I did some more research to do with my tentacle idea and took the advice that Karla gave me and looked into the suckers and the formation in detail. I found that the formation was from large to small and the suckers usually took this formation too. So that's what I want to convey in my work.

I also drew down a few design ideas but I was not really happy with any of them.

I would like to do more work over the upcoming week and find another two concepts I can use to create a piece of three.

Reflection on 07/03/17:

Unfortunately I was ill today so I was not able to attend the model making workshop, however I would like to catch this up over the weekend when I have figured out all three of my ideas.

Reflection on 10/03/17:

Aim for the day:

• To finish the paper model I started yesterday
  • To come up with a finalised idea for the peacock/argus design

I started off the day finishing off the model from yesterday. I needed to do two things - cut out rings from large to small and stick them onto the cardboard I created yesterday. Second thing I needed to do was somehow attach it to the neck so it would stay up.  After making the rings I realised I ran out of glue in my glue gun, so I had to figure out another way of attaching them to the piece. I tried melting wax and sticking them to the piece but unfortunately they fell off. So when I get glue for my glue gun I will stick them back on. I then used a bit of cardboard to create a chocker around the neck and then slit holes in my piece and attached strings so it could be adjustable around the neck (as you can see from the pictures below). When I put it on, it did lean to one side however I fixed it with a bit of wire. One thing I would do better would be to make the circle larger so it goes way above the head. In regards to materials for the real thing I would like to look into making a metal structure with plastic, or even possibly paper Mache - but I will look into it next week.

I then moved onto finalising an idea for the peacock concept. I took one of my original designs but manipulated it on different parts of the body - I wanted to emphasize the many eyes through the peacock feathers. I thought the best place was across the chest - almost like a really long necklace and create a detailed backing showing the eyes too (show below). I would like to create this piece out of felt - so create my own felt and create multiple feathered eyes - I would like the neck piece to be out of silver and create a silver chain. I want this piece to be bright and I would like the shape to mimic the shape of a peacock's tail. The only thing I am worried about is the silhouette not showing a distorted shape - but hopefully I will figure this out through design development and modelling making.

I would like to make a model for this for my tutorial on Tuesday.

Reflection on 14/03/17:

Today I had my tutorial with Tamzyn. She went through all of my work that I have done for this unit so far. 

She started with my proposal, which I received all positive comments - she thought it was ready for submission and did not need changing.

She then moved onto my workflow - she found it hard to navigate the pages and suggested I changed that so it was easy for her to find the Unit 7 research and refection pages. So I will definitely edit it and make it easier to navigate. In regards to my reflections and research she said I am on track and to carry on doing what I am doing.

Lastly she finished with my sketchbook. She recognised I had done a lot of work but told me I am doing too much work essentially as I am technically doing three projects in one (which was suggested by Karla). So she suggested that  focus on one of my projects, more specifically the story based on the echo and narcissus - it was her favourite one out of the three stories as she thought I could really interpret it in a creative way and create a joint male and female piece creating 2 or more pieces for the on story. Another piece of advice I received from her was that my design ideas were too obvious and not creative enough - so I would like to improve on this by looking at the designs in a more abstract way and possibly changing the designs to different positions on the body. I think this will make the designs more creative and not obvious. She also gave me some ideas about what I could create. She suggested for the male narcissus part I could remake a mirror mask to convey how in love with his own reflection he is - she told me to find reflective paper or acetate to do models of this. I will definitely have a go at this and see what I come up with. For the female she suggested making a horn or a collection of horns for the mouth in an abstract way to convey the echo and to show how the sounds will go off in all directions. She also thought it would be nice to create a mask to go with this possibly to resemble how the echo is in nature and how she is transformed into the surrounding nature.

Overall I am very happy with the feedback I received and I know what research I need to do to develop this idea and what materials I need to test in order to define my ideas.

Reflection on 17/03/17:

Today I wanted to focus on the mask bit for the female. Originally I was just going to create a horn for woman to convey the echo character in her, however I have been wanted to make a full face mask like Bjork's masks for a long time and I really wanted to incorporate embroidery with this to create something really beautiful.

So I thought about how I could bring a mask into the woman's piece. So I did a bit of research online as well as looking over the passage and doing some initial drawings and thought that I could create a full face mask that has embroidery of forest, bark, mountains etc. to show the transformation of echo into nature.

I then thought about materials I could use to create this mask - possibly using a mesh fabric or felt and cut a mouth hole so that the horn could go in the mouth as well. Then I thought about using a material I hadn't used before and thought about latex. I would like to experiment with a couple of materials to see what they would be like on the head.

Reflection on 21/03/17:

Today I decided to do testers of latex in class - I have never used it before so it was a day of experimentation for the facial mask I want to create for my final piece.

I also had a tutorial with Tamzyn. I told her about the things I have changed since the last time I met with her - I decided to create jewellery just for the woman - and how I wanted to create a large mouth of the horn so the male model would look into the horn and see himself. I wanted to talk to Tamzyn about this idea as I did not know what material to make the horn out of and how I would create it. She suggested creating it out of aluminium as it would automatically be reflective without adding any other materials such as sharp mirror into it which could be dangerous. In regards to the making of it she suggested that I do it in a couple of parts and connect it at the end - she said in regards to how it would hang onto the body I should create a mouth piece like on an inhaler so the model would hold it in her mouth. I like this idea but I just have to figure out how I would make the structure light enough to do this and what material I would make the mouth piece out of - possibly rubber but I will do some research over the holidays. Tamzyn's advice really helped me in figuring out how I would make the horn for the final piece. She's intrigued to fine out how my latex mask will work.

Going back to the latex mask I decided to create two testers. One I did just layers of latex on a plastic mask without using a sturdy material to see how flexible the latex would be. The other I did on a Styrofoam model head and covered the whole head to create a covered mask - This time instead of using just latex I used a mesh material to create a sturdiness to the structure so that it would not bend out of shape. This did take hours of layers as I wanted to make it as thick as possible so tomorrow I will see how they go.

Reflection on 26/03/17:

I know I did the big latex models but I wanted to create some flat latex samples so that I could see how the embroidery dealt with the latex. I did four different gradients of latex. One I just used the liquid latex and did a couple of layer, another I did one thin layer of liquid latex, the next one I did one layer of mesh with a couple layers of liquid latex. The final one I did two layers of mesh and a couple layers of liquid latex. It did take a big part of the day as I had to keep letting the latex dry and then add more layers - I also didn't want to ruin the samples so I left them dry overnight. I shall see the verdict in the morning but I reckon the one layer of mesh will work the best.

Reflection on 29/03/17:

After having a few thoughts about my design - I think I want to do a piece that is completely embroidered and not using the workshops as that is where my strengths lie - so instead of making a metal horn with mirror to convey the echo I would like to create this structure out of wire, fabric and embroidery somehow. I think it would look better with the embroidered mask and look like a whole piece so I need to do some idea drawings and material testers to see how I would do this. The designer who has inspired me to do this is James Merry.

I did focus a bit on my sketchbook today as well making sure I'd put the most influential designers and inspirations in my book to show how they have influenced me.

Something else that I did was change my facial drawings as I found my current drawings were a bit childish. I also thought drawing mask designs on that face was quite hard so I created a new face figure that is much more stylised.

I feel that it was a very productive day today and I got a lot done. What I would like to do over the next couple of days is test some more designs.

Reflection on 02/04/17:

Today was another day of material research - decided to go to Hastings and looks at the little boutique shops to see if there was any unique materials. However when I got there all the fabrics shops were unfortunately clothes - so will have to go back one day next week. Had my eye on a fabric not as flimsy as organza.

Although there I was unsuccessful with the fabric - I did manage to find a head and a bust which I could use for modelling and displaying my piece on as well as figuring out sizes for my final piece. In this way the day was successful.

Reflection on 05/04/17:

Today I really wanted to test out all my fabrics on sewing circles and create little testers before using it for the mask as I do not know whether they will work or not. So I started with the flimsy organza and put it onto a sewing circle. When sewing on it. It looked really good however it did tear in parts which is not ideal as I wouldn't want the mask to break when on the face. I then tried out the bigger holed tulle, I really liked the colour of this fabric however the holes were just too large when sewing intricate details on it, and I wouldn't be able to bead on it so it wouldn't work. Finally I tried the smaller more flexible tulle. This worked much better but the holes were still pretty big. I also tried some testers with a fabric that wasn't holey more like cotton which was nice to work with however I wanted a transparent material for the piece. To bring forth the nature vibe to convey echo turning into nature I decided to pick some nice leaves and bark from the garden and sew them onto some material. They actually look really lovely sewn on and looks unique so I would like to incorporate this into my piece.

I was really keen to start my mask tomorrow however I was really not happy with my testers. I also wasn't happy with the fact that I would probably have to lay the mask flat first and then put it on the face when everything had been done and somehow tie it at the back - not keen on the fact that it wouldn't have any shape. So I'm going to think of ways I could change this.

I had a chat to my mum to see if she had any ideas about the material I could use and she suggested buying some felt fibres and incorporating that with the fabric I already bought and sew onto that instead. So I will buy some felt for tomorrow and see how that goes.

Reflection on 08/04/17:

Today I wanted to find a way to make my felt mask more 3d and find a way to attach reflective material to the mask. However I wanted to keep the nature feel to it so I did some experiments with felts - I create a cone however when putting it onto the mask it was far too big. I found some smaller egg shaped polystyrene models and put a sock on it so the felt attaches to the sock.  then pressed felt onto the egg shape and once all covered I took it off  the mould and cut the bottom off. I made a couple of these with different shapes. Originally I places to domes on the model with the opening facing upwards. However then I tried placing it downwards and pressed the dome to make a dip in the middle and used the felting needle to attach the domes down in the middle. This looked much better and looked almost coral like. I then thought about how I could place the mirrors and thought about putting them in the middle of the dome. I made lots of these out of different colours always relating to the colours of the forest to keep it with the theme. I only managed to stick a couple down today but I am really happy with how it looks.

Reflection on 11/04/17:

So today I went in to uni to have a tutorial with Tamzin and Karla. I showed both of them the mask I had created so far and they liked it. However there was some feedback that they gave me to make my mask even better. Tamzin suggested I sewed down the mirrors as I had not properly put them in yet rather than gluing them. Karla suggested that I should use mirrored or glass beads in the circle bit to not show the corners of the mirror and to make it look a bit more delicate. I thought these were great ideas so I will do this. I also thought about embroidering on it also to make it look even more beautiful when talking to them.

Tamzin also told m to bring the mask in on Thursday to fit on Iona's head. however I had not thought about how I would attach it to her head. So she suggested cutting a slit down the back of the mask and using ribbon to tie it up at the back - so I will do this tomorrow.

However I was not really worried about the mask. The main reason why I wanted to come in for a tutorial was to talk about how I would make the horn as I did a tester out of felt but the felt failed to stay in shape so wanted to know what other materials I could use. Both of the tutors suggested that it would have to be a light material so it could stay up so not metal or plastic. They suggested to create a wire frame and gave me the artist Nika Danielska to look at. Then they suggested to paper Mache using very thin transparent tissue paper so I could put things like beads and leaves to tie it in with the felt piece. They thought a contrast between two piece wold be nice. Karla then sat down with me and showed me how to do it using a tester. This was very helpful.

Reflection on 14/04/17:

Because of the fail yesterday I decided to draw out some other ideas about how I could create this echo piece. I thought about possibly not just doing one big echo but possibly creating a whole bunch of little echoes that would reflection how the sound surrounds us. So I drew some ideas. I like the idea that were bunched around the mouth or throat or around the ears. I think those are the three places where sound is most important or prominent.

I then thought about materials I could use. So far I have used felt, sewing and mirrors and I did want the echo piece to relate to the mask rather than being a completely different piece. So I may use felt again but create wire structures inside to hold the shapes.

The idea I am happiest with is creating 10 + felt cones that have wire structure inside and connection them in a bunch around the face or neck. I was thinking about what I could use the connect the bunch the face and thought about using leather with a buckle or creating my own metal necklace.  In addition to this I did do some research on how to create cones.

On reflection I am definitely set on using felt again but possibly using a different technique to show different ways of manipulating the fibres. So I looked at some videos online and saw you can make felt from felt fibres by wetting it with soap and rolling it out so I will try that tomorrow.

Reflection on 17/04/17:

The first thing I did today was check the paper mache testers from yesterday. the neck piece did work but it was not made well enough. However the circles I personally thought worked extremely well - you could see through it and the bark looked beautiful in it. I used one of the cones and sewed it onto the piece and it worked really well - the cone stood by itself and was sturdy so I think this is the direction I will go.

I had another look at the cones - although there is a lot of technique in them I thought they needed something else on them. So I thought about putting something in them - possibly creating something a bit more beautiful and delicate. I couldn't really bead on the cones so I thought about beading off of the cones onto a material and then sticking that material in the cone. possibly using a fluff and tie the material over it so it would stick out. So I did a tester and it came out very well. It looked great, so I decided to do it to the rest of them using different beads to create a variety. I thought this would foreshadow the beauty of echo and nature as well. It did take some time as the beads were delicate and I wanted to make sure the beads were sewn down properly but I am really happy with the outcome.

I was thinking about how I could connect the piece to the face/neck and thought about creating a leather strap but then I found some wire an created jump rings and connected them together - I shall see what I feel would work the best once I've sewn the cones together.

Reflection on 20/04/17:

Today was the day of the photoshoot. My slot was between 11 and 12, however I wanted to get there early to get both of the models ready and instruct them before hand on what they'd be doing on the shoot. So I arrived at around 9 30 so I made sure I had plenty of time. The female model for my shoot was already. It got to about 10 30 and no one from the earlier slot had come to take photographs of their piece so I was asked to do mine, however my other model who I wanted to model the mouth piece had not arrived yet. I really was adamant to wait for her as I knew she suited the piece well but my tutor insisted that I would be the first one to go. I was asked to put the mouth piece on a model but I really was not happy with the way I looked on that model, so I insisted waiting for my other model. I was really not happy with this and actually stood my ground as I did not want my shoot to be compromised just because other people did not turn up for their slot. So I insisted that I waited until my allocated time so that I had time to make up my models. My other model eventually came and I got on to doing her makeup straight away. I wanted her hair slicked back so the rings of the mouthpiece would not get stuck in her hair, as well as creating a wet vibe to mimic the fact that Narcissus looks in a pond for his reflection. I put a little bit of natural make up on her face as well to convey Echo's natural beauty and make her eyes pop.

I initially wanted a male model in the picture as well, and Kieren did come in to be a prop in the picture. What I informed my models was I wanted a couple of different shots. The first shot I wanted Jess and Iona to be embracing and intertwining to make it look like the jewellery was two parts of one person. I wanted to make it look like quite a sad image to convey the feelings of the metamorphosis of both of the characters. For the second shot I wanted Kieren to be in the side of the image facing towards Iona so it would look like he was looking into his own reflection in the mask and the jess would be back to back with Iona of the other side. I also wanted an image where Iona would be lying on the floor with her head face the camera and Kieren crouching over her looking into the mask. I also wanted individual pictures of the mask and the mouth piece to show the detail I had created in the pieces.

When we got to the shoot we started with the embracing idea that I had and I helped to instruct the models to get a good photo, however both my tutor and the professional photographer thought we got the 'money shot' in the first couple frames so did not see the point of shooting anymore. I should have been more demanding and asked to try my other shots so this was a massive disappointment as I would have liked a variety of images to chose from like I initially wanted. I was especially disappointed that I was not able to bring my male model into the shot. If I was to do this differently I definitely would have demanded to try a couple more of my ideas. And if I had time, I would have done this myself.

When I arrived back home I decided to have a look at the images and edit them. Although I was disappointed with the shoot the images did turn out well. I would have liked more white space around the picture but I can work with it. I decided to Photoshop the images to bring out the colours in the jewellery by making the rest of the photos black and white. This I thought worked really well. I also wanted a close up shot to show the detail and I was amazed with the photo. I think I will use this shot for the main picture on the banner.

In regards to the banner I found it hard to write just 100 words as I had so much to say about my piece, but I eventually cut it down to approximately 100 words, only leaving what I thought the audience should know about my piece and where the ideas originated from. Regarding the pictures, I really liked two of the edited pictures to use as the main shot. However after consulted my mum and a couple of friends the thought I should use the close up shot as the main picture and have two of the other photos as back up. I would also like to pop in a making shot to show how I made the felt or how I made the jump rings so I will decide which photograph to use tomorrow.

Reflection on 23/04/17:

Today was a stressful day. I did not realise how many gaps I had in my sketchbook and did not account for the amount of time it would take to fill those gaps so it caused me to become behind.

I stumbled across another issue and a rather important on, which was that my mask did not fit on the head of the canvas mannequin head I bought. So I had to make a make shift one using a polystyrene head, tights and one of my copper models - it does work but doesn't have the finesse I would have liked it to have.

Plan of action for tomorrow:

Do bibliography

Do A2 sheets

Finish research on workflow